Monday, December 15, 2008

2 ends of the spectrum

So I went out today to pick up some stuff for the church and went to 2 different stores. With the economic circumstances here money is tight everywhere, and around Christmas time you often wonder what that means. I went to Food Basics as we had arranged for them to help us out a little with our "Christmas in a Basket". This is a way for our youth to bless the lives of people who could really use it at Christmas. We collect food and deliver a turkey meal to their homes that they can cook up themselves at Christmas. We are working with the Christopher Champlain Center here to find where the greatest need is and meet it. With all the economic circumstances they still chose to give us some gift certificates to help us create more meals.
I went from there to EB Games. I had been there 2 weeks previous to buy some games for our youth wing, but didn't end up getting them at the time. December rolls around and the price of the used games I was looking at had doubled! At most of the games I looked at were all more than when I had been there previous. I had trouble finding a game in the same price range. I walked out empty handed hoping that in the new year things will come back to normal. Although really I hope not - I hate to believe that the price of games there would double at Christmas as people come in to find stuff for their kids. I know businesses have to survive, but the gaming industry doesn't seem to be hurting and at this time of year, stuff like that flies off the shelves. I wonder how many people are going to pay double the price because they weren't there 2 weeks ago like I was.

At any rate - thank you FOOD BASICS for showing the true heart behind Christmas - and thank you EB games for ... well being scrooge I guess.

No comments: