Thursday, February 28, 2008

Humilty or Humiliation

So as some know I spun out a week or so back in the bad snow storm and ended up in the ditch, waiting for an hour to get towed out. It was interesting to us as we sat there how many cars stopped to help, how many would either drive down the road and turn around or back up on the highway to see if we were ok. Gladly we were all alright and there was no damage to the car.

So this morning on my way to work I came up on a car on the side of the road and an elderly man walked around to the front which I though was to check on the car in some way, as I slowed to see if he was ok (really felt I should since so many stopped for us) he starts waving me on, as he holds his pants up ... Yep you got it he was just relieving himself.

I compare the 2 events - the humbling experience of sitting in a ditch while so many drive by and having to admit - hey I lost control and the humiliating experience on that man as I stop to ask him if he is ok and he is just trying not to get any pee on his pants.

I think we often get the 2 mixed up in real life experiences. We are not humble people because when God bring opportunities are way to be humble to admit we were wrong, or may not have the write answer, we react like we have been humiliated.

God uses humbling experiences in our lives, we cause the humiliation.

No comments: