Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Difference in Words


So I'm not a big political person and am a hard core Canadian, so really the presidential stuff yesterday didn't mean much to me. That being said I do understand that this really although being a US thing was a World event, so I watched the speech while at my desk and then again at my homiletics class last night. We had a big discussion on the "rhetoric" in it - the use of words, what he said ... Someone mentioned something about Rick Warren praying, but I had missed that one so I googled it to see what he said. It was interesting - he got slammed it seemed from every direction. For not being "professional" enough for this event, for saying the words "Jesus Christ", for not saying enough on the stage he was given. Some say he left his words to too easily be taken multiple ways to not offend anyone, some wonder what he really meant and question whether he is really accepting of everyone or as one person put it 'does he hug the Muslim and the homosexual, but in the back of his mind think about the fact that they are still going to hell'.
The thing is that Obama - although the speech was good said .. nothing - he talked about history and got people excited, but really didn't lead me anywhere. But I guess maybe he knew the lash back he would face.
So the question is should Warren have been more careful as to not draw attention and ridicule or should he have just be more blunt knowing it was coming anyways.

4 comments:

Michael Krahn said...

I think it was just right.

Driscoll: http://theresurgence.com/rick_warrens_prayer

Hymer said...

I agree, considering the stage he was on - just interesting what some people took it as ...

Jon Wise said...

I thought it was good. It was accessible but real. I don't agree with everything that Pastor says, but for Obama to pick him was a gutsy choice -- and a good one.

Michael Krahn said...

FYI - Just put a post up about Rick Warren using the Arabic name for Jesus in his prayer:

http://michaelkrahn.com/blog/2009/01/22/rick-warren-in-the-name-of-yeshua-isa-jesus/